- COMP115 Introduction to Computer Science (Session 1, 2017)
- COMP332 Programming Languages (Session 2, 2017)
- COMP782 Advanced Topics in Theory and Practice of Software (Session 1, 2018)
My interests are in software design and development, programming language design and implementation, language processing, and programming environments and tools. The main focus of my research at present is the Kiama project that is investigating language embedding using language processing in the Scala language as a major case study.
For many years I have also been a co-investigator on the Eli language processor generation project" with colleagues from the University of Colorado, Boulder and Paderborn University.
I am the leader of the Programming Languages Research Group (PLRG) in the Department of Computing at Macquarie University.
- Skink: next-generation program verification tool built using Kiama
- Kiama: language processing via embedded domain-specific languages
- Monto: a Disintegrated Development Environment (DDE)
- Quorn: Mechanisation of language technology correctness
- Security: applications of domain-specific languages to information-based proofs of code
- Eli: comprehensive language processor generation system
- stragma: comparison between internal and external domain-specific languages
Cassez, F., Sloane, A.M., Roberts, M., Pigram, M., Suvanpong, P., and de Aledo, P.G. Skink: Static Analysis of Programs in LLVM Intermediate Representation (Competition Contribution). In Proceedings of International Conference on Tools and Algorithms for the Construction and Analysis of Systems, 2017.
Sloane, A. M., Cassez, F., and Buckley, S. The sbt-rats parser generator plugin for Scala (Tool Paper). In Proceedings of the 7th ACM SIGPLAN Symposium on Scala, 2016, 110-113.
Buckley, S., Sloane, A. M., and Roberts, M. Specifying CSS layout with reference attribute grammars. SPLASH 2016 Poster.
Martins, P., Fernandes, J. P., Saraiva, J., Van Wyk, E, and Sloane, A. M. Embedding attribute grammars and their extensions using functional zippers. Science of Computer Programming 132 (2016), 2-28.
Sloane, A. M. and Roberts M.. Oberon-0 in Kiama. Science of Computer Programming 114 C (2015) 20-32.
Sloane A. M., Roberts M., and Hamey, L. G. C. Respect your parents: How attribution and rewriting can get along. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Software Language Engineering, 2014. Slides.
Roberts, M. and Sloane, A. M. Type inference for the spine view of data. In Proceedings of the Workshop on Generic Programming. ACM, 2014.
Sloane, A. M. and Roberts, M. Domain-specific program profiling and its application to attribute grammars and term rewriting. Science of Computer Programming 96 (2014) 488-510.
Hoang, T., McIver, A. K., Meinicke, L., Morgan, C. C., Sloane, A. M., and Susatyo, E. Abstractions of non-interference security: probabilistic versus possibilistic . Formal Aspects of Computing, Springer, 2014.
Sloane, A. M., Kats, L. C. L., and Visser, E. A pure embedding of attribute grammars .Science of Computer Programming, 78:1752–1769, 2013. This paper is a revised and extended version of an earlier LDTA 2009 workshop paper.
Premaratne, S., Sloane, A. M., and Hamey, L. G. C. An Evaluation of a Pure Embedded Domain-Specific Language for Strategic Term Rewriting . Chapter 4 (pp. 81-108) in Formal and Practical Aspects of Domain-Specific Languages: Recent Developments. Marjan Mernik (ed.), IGI Global, 2013.
Sloane, A. M. Profile-based Abstraction and Analysis of Attribute Grammar Evaluation . In Proceedings of the 5th Conference on Software Language Engineering (SLE 2012), K. Czarnecki and G. Hedin, Eds. Slides.
Sloane, A. M. Lightweight language processing in Kiama . In Generative and Transformational Techniques in Software Engineering III. Volume 6491 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, 2011.
Kats, L., Sloane, A. M., and Visser, E. Decorated attribute grammars: Attribute evaluation meets strategic programming. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Compiler Construction (CC 2009)], no. 5501 in Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, pp. 142–157.
Sloane, A. M. Program Compilers. In the Encyclopedia of Computer Science and Engineering, Wiley, 2009.
Stefanov, K. and Sloane, A. M. On the implementation of bytecode compression for interpreted languages . Software-Practice & Experience, 39(2), 2009.
Sloane, A. M. Experiences with domain-specific language embedding in Scala. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Domain-Speciﬁc Program Development (DSPD 2008), J. Lawall and L. Reveillere, Eds.
Kastens, U., Sloane, A. M., and Waite, W. M. Generating Software from Specifications . Jones and Bartlett, 2007.
Lovatt, H., Sloane, A. M. and Verity D. A pattern-enforcing compiler (PEC) for Java: a practical way to formally specify patterns . In Design Pattern Formalization Techniques, T. Taibi (ed.), Idea Group Inc., 2007.
Mernik, M., Heering, J. and Sloane, A. M. When and how to develop domain-specific languages . Computing Surveys, 37(4), 2005.
Sloane, A.M. An Evaluation of An Automatically-Generated Compiler. ACM Transactions on Programming Languages, and Systems, 17(5):691–703, Sept. 1995.
Gray, R. W., Levi, S. P., Heuring, V. P, Sloane, A. M. and Waite, W. M. Eli: a complete, flexible compiler construction system. Communications of the ACM, 35(2):121–130, Feb. 1992.
- PC member of International Conference on Software Language Engineering 2016 (SLE 2016), Amsterdam, The Netherlands, November 2016.
- PC member of Industrial Track of Software Language Engineering Conference (ITSLE 2016), Amsterdam, The Netherlands, November 2016.
- PC member of Workshop on Generic Programming (WGP 2014), Gothenburg, Sweden, September 2014.
- PC member of Workshop on Functional Programming Concepts in Domain-Specific Languages (FPCDSL 2013), Boston, USA, September 2013.
- PC member of Industrial Track of Software Language Engineering Conference (ITSLE 2012), Dresden, Germany, September 2012.
- Co-PC chair of International Workshop on Language Descriptions, Tools and Applications 2012 (LDTA 2012), Tallinn, Estonia, March/April 2012.
- PC member of ACM SIGPLAN 2012 Workshop on Partial Evaluation and Program Manipulation (PEPM 2012), Philadelphia, USA, January 2012
- Co-PC chair of International Conference on Software Language Engineering 2011 (SLE 2011), Braga, Portugal, July 2011
- PC member of International Conference of Domain-Specific Languages 2011 (DSL 2011), Bordeaux, France, September 2011
- Organiser Sydney Area Programming Languages INterest Group (SAPLING)
- Editorial board member for Software-Practice & Experience Journal
- Steering Committee of International Conference on Software Language Engineering
- Member of IFIP TC-2 Working Group 2.11 on Program Generation
Department of Computing
Sydney, NSW 2109
Phone: +61 2 9850 9582
Fax: +61 2 9850 9551
Email: Anthony.Sloane AT mq.edu.au
I received a B.Sc.(Hons)(1984) in Computer Science from the Australian National University and a M.S.(1991) and Ph.D.(1993) in Computer Science from the University of Colorado, Boulder. I was Head of the Department of Computing at Macquarie University. from 2005 to 2007 and Director of Teaching in the Department of Computing from 2001 to 2004.
I have been a visiting professor at Yale University, University of New South Wales, Delft University of Technology and Eindhoven University of Technology.
I am a member of the Editorial Board of the Software-Practice & Experience journal.
I was awarded a Macquarie University Excellence in Education Award in 2006 and a Macquarie University Outstanding Teacher Award in 2004.
I am a member of the ACM and have been a member of the IEEE Computer Society.