Page Information

Versions Compared


  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.


2.1 Inductions and training

The following inductions and/or training courses are required dependent on the fieldwork undertaken.

All staff and students intending on acting as fieldwork team leader MUST receive a fieldwork induction with the appropriate departmental fieldwork manager before they can organise any trips. 

Other inductions may include:

  • Vehicle induction if you intend to drive a university vehicle and/or hire a vehicle while in the field (contact departmental Vehicle manager)

  • Vessel induction if you intend to operate a university vessel (contact Biological Sciences MFM/ boating officer)

  • Snorkel/ freedive induction and swim assessment for snorkel/ freedive based fieldwork (contact the University Dive officer)

  • Chemical induction if there is the need for chemical (including gases) use in the field (Chemicals)



Training programs outside of the university may be required or beneficial to fieldwork and so should be completed before a trip. For WHS reasons, certain courses may be recommended to you (e.g. 4WD and vehicle recovery courses) before a fieldtrip will be approved by the fieldwork manager.

First Aid training is a requirement of as many fieldtrip participants as possible and hence is recommended to all staff and students embarking on field excursions. It is University policy that AT LEAST ONE fieldwork participant has a current Australian first aid certification recognised by the university unless otherwise approved by the fieldwork manager after evaluating the Trip risk assessment in Field Friendly. The fieldwork manager has the right to refuse approval for a fieldtrip if there is not a first aid trained participant included.
Assistance from trained staff or volunteers can be sought to supplement participants.

First aid training is available through the university at:

The departmental fieldwork manager and Department administration can assist with bookings and if a course is not available the fieldwork manager can recommend an external first aid certification course for enrolment.

2.2 Check permissions and permits

Some field sites may require access permission or scientific research and collection permits both for access and collection at the site. Allow sufficient time before planning the field excursion to obtain the required permit or licence.

A check should also be made to ascertain whether your field activities or journey will take you onto or through Aboriginal land. Permission to visit some communities is required by way of a permit in order to protect privacy, preserve culture and look after the natural environment. It can also help protect visitor safety, particularly in remote areas

Similarly allow time for field trip specific animal ethics, biosafety, biohazard or chemical safety approval, as well as funding approval. Academic supervisors should assist students with such applications. Permissions and permits are the responsibility of the fieldwork team leader

 2.3 Apply for fieldwork using Field Friendly

  • Login using your OneID
  • Follow instructions on home page, including entering qualifications, Project, Site and Trip information.
  • Refer any inquiries to your relevant fieldwork manager
  •  This document will assist you in using Field Friendly - Guide to Field Friendly
  • Do not apply for fieldwork at the last minute. Please allow time for revisions and approvals. It is generally recommended to allow a minimum of 7 days for a first trip and 3-5 days for subsequent trips. Keep in communication with your fieldwork manager to organise this. Contact your fieldwork manager by telephone for any urgent last minute needs.

The Field Friendly application will either be approved or further information or amendments requested by the relevant fieldwork manager and/ or supervisor. If there are serious concerns by the fieldwork manager the approval may be redirected to the Head of Department or the Faculty WHS Coordinator.

  • Once the Trip approval is finalised, an email will be sent to all participants added in the Trip plan to sign up to the trip via an invitation link. For larger groups such as undergraduate trips, a link will be generated via the Roster page which can be emailed or posted on iLearn for the sign up procedure. Signing up is the last step in the approval process and is MANDATORY for all field trip participants. This is where emergency contact, medical and dietary information is collected and remains confidential. 
  • Once sign up is complete, each Trip participant can access a PDF copy of the 'Trip Package' containing all relevant safety and logistical information pertinent to the field trip.

2.4 ‘Absence on duty’

  • The ‘Absence on duty’ form must be completed by anyone who is undertaking University business incorporating travel. This form is an official approval of travel with regards to university insurance and finances

  • The only situtation where this is not required is for travel within 50km of the campus with no expenses to be claimed. For all other situations and all fieldwork an AOD must be submitted.

  • Absence on duty requires field trip approval prior to submission.

  • Absence on duty is submitted to the administration team for approval once fieldwork has been approved.

The ‘Absence on duty form’ is available online at: for the Biological Sciences department and currently as a paper form via the administration team for all other departments 


2.5 Collect equipment from the fieldwork manager

  • Request for equipment should be emailed to the fieldwork manager when submitting Field Friendly entries in advance of the field trip.

  • Arrangements are to be made for the collection of equipment from the relevant fieldwork manager. Equipment includes first aid kits, satellite phones, PLBs, snorkel or freediving equipment, specimen collecting equipment, 4WD recovery gear, eskies or camping equipment.

  • If you have booked a university vehicle (please see 4.5 for details), keys should be collected just before departure from the electronic safe E8B level 2 for Biological Sciences. If you do not have access to this safe please contact the vehicle manager. For EPS department vehicle keys please see Nigel Wilson. For Environmental Sciences vehicle keys please see Russell Field.

  • Ensure your vehicle booking includes extra time for unpacking, cleaning and refueling.